Hurffville History

Hurffville Elementary School Hurffville Elementary School was built in 1957 and was constructed in an "open campus" style. Each grade level was housed in a separate building with open-air walkways between each building and the main office building. The walkways were protected with an overhead covering. Originally, the building contained kindergarten through sixth grade students. As the school population increased, the grade levels were changed to second through fifth grade. 

During the 1988 – 89 school year, renovations were made to the building, which enlarged the main office, the guidance office, and the nurse’s office. Twelve additional classrooms, a gymnasium, several small instructional rooms, and enclosed walkways were also added. Hurffville now refers to those once separate instructional buildings as "pods."

With the increased number of classrooms as a result of the renovations, the school was able to once again house kindergarten through fifth grade for the 1989 – 90 school year. Currently, all of the preschool and kindergarten students attend Grenloch Terrace School while Hurffville contains grades 1 – 5
CLOSE